This week, we should be glued to the live feed at Royal Windsor Horse Show, watching the world’s best in show jumping, dressage, driving and more compete on the iconic grounds of Windsor Castle. Alas, COVID-19 put a wrench in those plans.
Virtual Windsor is running in its place. We were calling it the “next best thing” to the original in our pre-event coverage. Turns out, #VirtualWindsor is pretty great in its own right! Maybe even better in some ways…
With day one in the books, here’s what we’ve learned so far:
1. You don’t realize just how much you miss horse sport until you watch a replay of a 5* class.
Still so thrilling! (Even when you know the result.) Huh!
2. Flat classes are infinitely more exciting when you get to hear the judge’s insights in real time.
Chief Virtual Judge Nigel Hollings is a revelation. If you weren’t excited about breed classes before, you will be after spending five minutes with him. Live judge remarks should be mandatory in flat classes from here out.
3. Scott Brash likes tea, chocolate biscuits and Kate Beckinsale
Not necessarily in that order.
4. “If it’s not going to happen on Sunday, it’ll happen one day…”
…is our new favorite quote, courtesy of Her Majesty the Queen’s Showing Producer, Katie Jerram. What other truth bombs are in store this week? You have to tune in to find out.
5. It’s never not a good time to rewatch a Charlotte Dujardin Freestyle
Case in point: Charlotte Dujardin and Erlentanz dancing to a 81.900% in the Al Shira’aa Grand Prix Freestyle to Music at last year’s Royal Windsor Horse Show. One word: Magical.