According to Oprah magazine, positive self affirmation is shown to help combat stress, boost your overall health and bring more positive energy into your life.
If it’s good enough for the “O of O,” we’re thinking it’s probably good enough for the U of You and most certainly, for the We of Horse Network.
Here are 24 positive affirmations based on the work of best-selling author, psychologist, and relationship expert Dr. Carmen Harra—and adapted for equestrians—that will (maybe) change (some part of) your riding life. (Or something.)
*Takes a deep cleansing breath in*
1. I am the architect of my life; I build its foundation and choose how many horses it contains.
2. My body is healthy(ish); my mind is well (caffeinated); my soul is in the third stall on the left.
3. I am superior to negative ruminations; I radiate the inner sunshine of Tiffany Foster.
4. I am above petty actions. I do not wish (irreversible) bodily harm upon the individual who stole my horse’s treats/used all my Showsheen/left the gate to the paddock open.
5. I forgive those horses who have harmed me in my past and peacefully detach from the trainers who sold them to me.
6. A river of compassion washes away my anger and replaces it with the stoic resolve of McLain Ward.
7. My relationship with my horse is becoming stronger, deeper, and more stable each day. Whether he likes it or not.
8. I am guided in my every step by my Spirit Animal, Beezie Madden, who leads me towards what I must know and do.
9. I possess the qualities needed to be extremely successful at spotting—and avoiding—things that could potentially spook my horse.
10. Happiness is a choice. I base my happiness on my horse’s happiness and the number of saddle pads I can buy him.
11. My potential to succeed is at least as good as that of Susan and her Quarterhorsepalooza.
12. I deserve to be paid well for my time, efforts, and ideas so I can afford this punishingly expensive hobby.
13. I am courageous; I will not be conquered by the three inches it takes to go up one hole on the jump standard.
14. My thoughts are filled with blessings for the gift that is Kent Farrington.
15. Today, I abandon my old habits and resolve to stop ordering breeches one size smaller than I actually require.
16. I am blessed with an incredible four-legged family and wonderfully horse-motivated friends.
17. I acknowledge my own limitations; my confidence in my trainer is soaring.
18. Everything that is happening now will ultimately make me slightly better at riding some point in the near and/or distant future.
19. Though my riding lessons are difficult, they are only a short phase of my life. They are certain to become more difficult still.
20. My efforts are being supported by the universe and the overdraft on my bank account.
21. I manifest beauty, grace (under pressure) and the superhuman determination of Eric Lamaze to overcome all obstacles in my path.
22. I wake up today with strength to carry water buckets in my arms and the clarity in my mind to pay someone else to it.
23. I am at peace with all the vet bills that have happened, are happening, and will happen.
24. I am my own superhero. I will not compare myself to the children riding circles around me in the schooling ring.
*Cleansing breath out.*
Peace, love and self-affirming rainbows.
Actually useful positive affirmations by Dr. Harra can be found here.